Thursday, November 02, 2017

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

In honor (late, alas) of Halloween, please enjoy the criminally underrated Gwil Owen...


...and his fabulous country rocker "Haunted House."



I first encountered Owen when he was the lead singer (circa 1988) of alt-rockers The Thieves, who made an absolutely sensational album -- Seduced by Money -- that was produced by none other than Marshall Crenshaw. If you can find a copy, grab it immediately; it's a classic. The song above, if I recall, was from the follow up album Phoenix, which I believe Gwil self-released.

In any case, I lost track of the guy over the years, but I just Wiki'd him, and he's done really well for himself since then, including an Oscar nomination for a song he wrote for the soundtrack of The Horse Whiseperer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that Owen wrote/co-wrote a bunch of songs that appeared on Toni Price's early-90s album "Swim Away", which is a pretty sensational record in its own right.

J. Lag

Jai Guru Dave said...

What is that guitar??

M_Sharp said...

I've been a fan of Gwil's since that first Toni Price album. Gwil also has great songs on all of her other albums, all of which are worth buying, I don't think she's ever recorded a bad song. Unfortunately, she doesn't play outside Texas, and usually does an early show on Tuesdays at the Continental Club in Austin.

Gwil also has a few songs on the early Bloodshot Records comps.