Monday, June 05, 2017

Positively Monday

Went to see the fabulous Willie Nile yesterday at an afternoon listening soiree and unplugged mini-concert for his forthcoming album of Bob Dylan covers...


...and I gotta tell you, I haven't been to such a great party in ages. Here's the first video from the album, shot at the same stygian downtown joint (two blocks up from the departed CBGBs) where yesterday's festivities took place. And if this doesn't make you smile, there's no hope for you.



The rest of the record, frankly, is even better, including a Ramones Meet the Byrds version of "Blowin' in the Wind" that must be heard to be believed. Positively Bob drops, as the kids say, on June 23, but you can -- and very definitely should -- pre-order it at Amazon over HERE.

Have I mentioned that it was a truly memorable afternoon? Thanks, Willie!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw WILLIE back in 1992 at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto, when he was touring to promote his COLUMBIA cd "Places I've Never Been" - he put on a pretty energetic show. Glad to hear he's still making music.

J. Lag

Billy B said...

I haven't thought about Willie in decades. Excellent cover. Good video, too.

I especially liked the slide guitar. From an acoustic axe, no less.

mainuh said...

Damn Willie is good.
For whatever reason my entire life has had friends in the arts of music and visual.
Without a doubt,as a career, it requires the toughest of skins and a "Trumpian" belief in ones self.
Not only have I known people who have been #1 with a bullet, but others whose fingers were just not long enough to grab that brass ring.

Oh but if I had my time again you all know just what I'd do
Rock n' roll's a loser's game, it mesmerizes and I can't explain
The reasons for the sights and for the sounds
We went off somewhere on the way and now I see we have to pay
The rock n' roll circus is in town
(Ian Hunter)

ro

Ken F said...

Willie Nile is the real deal. He means every word he sings, and his recordings and performances are so honest. Plus, he rocks!