Thursday, October 22, 2009

Yet Another Fricking, Wait for It, Early Clue to the New Direction!

From 1968, and whichever of the thousand volumes of The Basement Tapes, please enjoy Bob Dylan's gnomic in the extreme "I'm Not There."





This is, of course, also the title song of the fabulous Gus Van Sant Todd Haynes movie of the same name, starring Cate Blanchett as the Highway 61/Blonde on Blonde Bob, an incarnation in which he exuded, in Lester Bangs' famous phrase, all the androgynous fascination of a strung-out Puerto Rican hooker.

In any case, a coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded the first reader who gleans the clip's relevance to the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Listomania.

10 comments:

Gummo said...

Songs about identity?

And I have yet to be able to get all the way thru I'm Not There and I'm about as fanatic a Dylan fanatic as you'll ever find. A more pretentious nonsensical piece of crap I've never seen, and I've sat thru Zabriskie Point.

Anonymous said...

Really, G? I loved it. (Tho there doesn't seem to be much middle ground on it amongst my posse. People seem to really love it or really hate it. C'est la guerre...)

And Steve - Todd Haynes, not Gus Van Zant. Bring me some nekkid pictures of Catherine Deneuve as penance... :)

-bill buckner

Mister Pleasant said...

As Mr. Buckner pointed out, I'm Not There was directed by that OTHER gay Portland, OR filmaker - Todd Haynes. I thought it was tremendous, but then I am a big fan of Mr. Haynes' films.

Songs with geographic identification?

steve simels said...

What the fuck is wrong with me?

OF COURSE it was Todd Haynes.

Sheeiittt. I'll go change it, and keep it under your hat, okay?
:-)

Anonymous said...

Basement songs: that is songs/performances never meant to be released but incredibly popular with fans anyway.

ROTP(lumber)

dave™© said...

Songs by androgynous Puerto Rican hookers?

geor3ge said...

Songs about regret?

geor3ge said...

Songs that fit to the tune of "Sister Golden Hair"?

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Songs about heartbreak? abandonment? betrayal?

Songs whose words are debatable?

Songs whose actual words don't matter?

steve simels said...

No, no, no, no and no.

Who Am Us Anyay is close, however.
;-)