Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Greetings from Dayton, Ohio!

Okay, this is the most pretentious thing I've ever done, but I've wanted to do it for years and years and now I have.

From 1967, please enjoy the pre-cosmic Moody Blues with the great Denny Laine and their oh so sad and haunting ode to Parisian heartbreak, the gorgeous and very French -- dig that accordion! -- "Boulevard de La Madeleine."


It's a sad day in Paris
With no girl by my side
Got to feeling so badly
Like a part of me died
It would have been
So good to see her
I never thought
She wouldn't be there
There's no girl standing there
And there's no one who cares
And the trees are so bare
On the Boulevard de la Madeleine

I was luckier than the song's protagonist, of course; I got to stand on the street with a certain shady dame taking the picture, if not quite by my side (until we were done, obviously.)

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Justifying the beret, aren't you. Cute.

David said...

I can practically smell the gauloises and sweat! (not from you, of course...) Have a ball!

Unknown said...

Love Denny Laine!
Are you quaffing elitist vin ordinaire, or is that a contradiction in terms?

alex said...

Wow, Dayton sure looks different than I remember! :)

MasterD, damn yankee said...

Ah, Ohio in the fall! Tres jolie!

---

Anonymous said...

You must have found the only street without orange barrells!

Buckeye ...