Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Smells Like Adult Spirit

Just found out that this fine video by should-be-a-household-word singer/songwriter/guitarist Peter Spencer -- the song is his smartly blues inflected "Turn to Me" -- is now up on YouTube.



Apparently it's from a forthcoming documentary about Pete that's going to be shown later this year at the Bainbridge Island Film Festival.

Pete's an old bud from my early 80s days as a rockstar wannabe in Greenwich Village, where we often bellied up at the bar with then not yet famous pals including Suzanne Vega, Shawn Colvin, the Smithereens, and some other folks you might not have heard of but are/were equally worthy. Anyway, he's a splendid composer, a riveting performer, and I'm glad to see that he's become something of a fixture in the Seattle area; if you live in the neighborhood, you should definitely check out one of his frequent club gigs.

Meanwhile, you can order Pete's CDs here; they're all excellent, but I particularly recommend Handsignal, which features my old bandmate Glen Robert Allen on drums, and New Hope and Wise Virgins, whose standout track -- "Everybody Danced" -- is as gloriously mournful a slice of modern folk-rock/Americana as has been heard this decade. In any case, get over there and give Pete some love.

PS: I just realized I have now posted twice in a row about my sordid 80s skinny tie band past. Somebody smack me if I do it again any time soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turn To Me is amazing.